Wake Up on Table Mountain – Overseers Cottage Overnight
TableMountain is distinctive not only in it’s position, shape and stature, but in that it is part of a National Park
surrounded entirely by the municipal boundaries of the city. Its position at the most South Westerly point of Southern Africa has had a profound impact on global history and cultural diversity and it is probably the most recognised location within the Cape Floral Kingdom World Heritage Site. With Table Mountain recently having been recognised as one of the international ‘Seven Wonders of Nature’, the Table Mountain Hiking trail provides the opportunity to experience this natural environment in a special way.
Most people’s TableMountain experience is limited to a day-time hike or cruise up in the cable car to marvel at the views. However, those in the know choose the complete and privileged experience of trekking up the mountain to spend a night in the comfortable surroundings of the Overseers Cottage. Perched above Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, with views over False Bay and the distant Hottentots Holland Mountains, you can feast your soul on the fynbos, fresh mountain air and stunning views. In addition, to the stimulating walk, you will enjoy the specialist knowledge of local hiking guides, indulge in sundowners, fireside conversation, fine food, good company and comfortable beds. To top it all off, imagine waking up to a panoramic sunrise and the smell of fresh croissants and coffee – all in a mountain setting, in the middle of the city.
The Table Mountain Trail provides a unique opportunity to trek through this exceptional part of a the Cape Floral Kingdom World Heritage Site, experience the flora, the spectacular views and get a unique exposure to an unusual aspects of the history of the city.
Some routes and activities are weather dependent. Professional guides will also assess the group’s ability and requirements, to select the most suitable routes.
Wake Up on Table Mountain’-Kirstenbosch Excursion (2 Days / 1 night)
For summary and trails calendar follow the link –
- Collection from accommodation in Cape Town
- Dedicated, qualified field guide
- Walk through Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens
- Hike through a unique part of the Cape Floral Kingdom World Heritage Site
- An abundant variety of unique plant species and pristine Afro-Montain forest
- Visit the historic WaterworksRailwayMuseum (on top of the Mountain)
- Veiws on day 1 from 650 metres and day 2 from 1087 metres
- Warm & cosy cottage with good traditional South African cuisine
- Night views of the City
- Maclears Beacon – the highest point on the Table Mountain chain
- Views over the city of Cape Town from the Western Table of the Mountain
- Cable Car ride down (optional – weather permitting)
We overnight at the Overseers Cottage, located high above KirstenboschBotanical Gardens and the Southern Suburbs of the city, overlooking False Bay. By the evening all the day walkers have left and we enjoy the experience of the tranquility of this unique facility.
After collection from your accommodation in Cape Town you meet your guide/s in Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens on the eastern side of the mountain at 09h00. Enjoy a leisurely walk through the Gardens until you reach the contour path, where the mountain hike begins. From here your mountain guide will select the route to be taken to the top, according to the group’s ability and the weather. The trek to Overseers Cottage is approximately 2 – 3 hours.
Arrive at the Overseer’s Cottages for an early lunch, before taking an afternoon walk around the Back Table to the railway museum and the old reservoirs. On to Kasteelspoort for the vital photograph of ‘the diving board’ that overlooks Camps Bay and the Atlantic Coastline, far below. Return to the cottage, where, after a hot shower, enjoy pre-dinner drinks while overlooking False Bay and the distant mountain ranges, or Orangekloof and Hout Bay on the other side. Then it is time for a South African braai (barbecue) or potjiekos (cast-iron pot-on-the-fire) stew, which is served around the fire – either under the stars, or inside on cooler evenings.
After a leisurely breakfast you will set off along the historic Smuts Track towards Skeleton Gorge and Nursery Ravine and Echo Valley, on your way to Maclears Beacon and the highest point of the mountain. The hiking pace is easy as you enjoy the interesting rock formations, the spectacular views and the wide variety of fynbos species, including proteas, ericas, restios and many others. A lunch spot is chosen to take best advantage of prevailing weather conditions and then it is on to the top of Platteklip Gorge and the Western Table en route to the cable station. The final challenge is the trek off the Table, down the steep, but well defined Platteklip Gorge route. Weather permitting, there is an optional alternative of taking the easy way down with t a ride in the cable car.
You will be met at the Lower Cable Station, where you can put your feet up while we transport you back to you’re the start at Kirstenbosch or alternatively to your accommodation in Cape Town (by arrangement)
Note: Accommodation can be arranged at the Platteklip Wash House for the night before the start. This is a self-catering venue within the Table Mountain National Park, on the lower slopes of the Mountain, on the border of the suburb of Oranjezicht and close to the Cape Town CBD. Catering at this venue is available by arrangement.
There are various route and package options, including:
- Finish back in Kirstenbosch Gardens
- Walk to Vlakkenberg Peak and finish at Groot Constantia for wine tasting
You will need:
- A day pack for warm clothing & your pack lunch (supplied)
- Cold / wet weather gear – even if the weather looks good it can change on the mountain – the evenings can also be cold, even in summer.
- Good hiking boots & socks.
- Water bottle(s) for at least 2 lt of water. Filtered tap water is available. Bottled water is for your own cost and discouraged for environmental reasons.
- You are welcome to bring your own wine, beers or cold drinks. If would like us to purchase drinks for you please provide a list of your requirements. We gladly do this with a service fee of 25% of cost. Ice and cooling facilities for drinks are provided at the overnight venue.
Cost: R2830 per person, fully inclusive of accommodation, catering, luggage transport, entrance fees and guiding. Excludes Cable Car and alcoholic beverages. Minimum booking numbers required to operate a trail is 6 people unless a private trail is preferred.
Ask about our group booking and Wild Card specials